Articles, in the English language, are three: A, AN, THE used with nouns like adjectives. But they show differences between specific and non-specific things. But they are very short words that categorized into two groups:
- Definite Articles = A and AN are used for objects that are singular but non-specific
- Indefinite Article = The = is used with specific objects.
Indefinite Articles Examples
Indefinite Articles are two ✌ = A, AN = used before singular objects (things, people, places) that are not specific.
- A goat is an animal.
- A city is an urban area.
- A soldier is an armed person.
- An urn ⚱ is a jar.
- An egg 🥚 is like an oval shape.
- An inkpot is an ink container.
Definite Article Examples
Definite Article is one= The = used before specific objects (things, people, and places) which can be singular or plural, countable or uncountable, but they are particular. The = is used for specific objects or objects that both the speaker and listener know.
- The Holy book 📙 is The Quran.
- The position-holder boy 👦 is Amir.
- The Japanese policeman 👮 is vigilant.
- The Lahore Museum is worth seeing.
- The ex-secretary is getting old.
- The sheep 🐑 has much wool over it.
Use of Definite Articles A and AN
Basic Rules for the use of Indefinite Articles = A, AN = depending on the words starting with vowel sound 🔊 or consonant. So, An, = is used with words that begin with vowel sounds whereas A = is used with words beginning with consonant sounds. For example:
|No.||Consonant Sounds||Vowel Sounds|
|1.||A baby is smiling ☺.||This is an umbrella ☔.|
|2.||A phone 📱 is ringing.||An honest man 👨 is here.|
|3.||A car 🚙 is running.||An inkpot is lost.|
|4.||A ball ⚽ is swinging.||An Oven is smelling.|
|5.||A horse 🐴 is drinking 🍻.||An egg 🥚 is broken.|
- Indefinite Articles = A and An = are used when the first time we introduce an object and used as synonyms for the sense of one in numerical terms. For example:
- They bought a computer 💻.
- I saw an elephant 🐘 last night.
- She bought a bat and a ball ⚽.
- Afra asked me a question.
- My friend gifted me an urn⚱.
- Nobody listens to a fool.
- A foot is equal to twelve inches.
- An enemy finds the clue.
- A chocolate 🍫 cake 🎂 likes everyone.
Then, Indefinite Articles = A and An = we use with something unclear or someone unknown to us ⚛. For example:
- One night, 🌃 a thief knocked our door.
- A John is calling you standing outside.
- This artwork is made by a country painter.
- A hawker is selling something.
- I think it’s a beggar crying loudly.
- Is there a ground to play cricket🦗?
- Do you know a doctor😷 nearby?
- There is an animal coming from the bushes.
Lastly, Indefinite Articles = A and An = are used in the sense of any when one thing represents the whole of its class. For example:
- A Tom🙀 is fatter than a cat.
- A horse🐴 knows the way to home.
- A dog🐶 is loyal to its owner.
- A camel🐫 lift heavy weight.
- A snake🐍 lives in the grass.
- An elephant🐘 attracts children.
Use of Indefinite Article = THE
- The is used for specific objects (person, place, thing) that both the speaker and listener know or those which are already mentioned or referred to the context earlier. For example:
- Can you give me the books 📚 on the table?
- The dog🐩 I’m selling is very loyal to me.
- I saw the black woman 👩 braver than you.
- Let’s go to the city cinema house tonight.
- The girl👧 who was crying 😢 forgot the way to her home.
- The movie🎦 is based on a real-life incident.
2. Definite article = The = is also used with a singular noun when it represents its whole race or class. For example:
- The horse 🐴 is faithful animal.
- The parrot is a lovely bird.
- The camel is king of desert.
- The actor is always confident.
- The cook knows the real taste.
3. Besides, definite article = The = is also used with some proper nouns, things, and place names as well as natural objects. For example:
- Mountains ⛰ = The K2, The Himalayas
- Islands = The Aran Island, The West Indies
- Deserts = The Thar Desert, The Great Sandy
- Canals = The canal of Schlemm, The Suez Canal
- Rivers = The Ravi, The Thames
- Seas = The Atlantic, The Black Sea
- The Nature = The Sun, The Moon, The Earth, The Jupiter, etc.
4. The = is also used before plural countries or other plural regions and bodies of water. For example:
- The Netherlands
- The United Kingdom
- The United States of America
- The Irish Republic
- The United Arab Emirates
- The Ukraine
5. Then, we also use = The = with the names of some particular books 📚 titles. For example:
- The Holy Quran
- The Bible
- The Iliad
- The Vedas
- The Torah
- Alexander the Great
- Akbar the Great
- The Great Creaser
- The Bard of Avon Shakespeare
7. Next, we also use Definite article = The = with all the superlative degrees of adjectives. For example:
- I will eat the sweetest apple 🍏.
- You have the darkest eyes 👀.
- The rose 🌹 is the loveliest flower.
- Alia is the youngest girl 👧 in our class.
- The most intelligent 🧠 people will be preferred.
8. Another use of Definite article = The is used before certain adjectives to give a plural meaning. For example:
- The rich know the ground realities.
- The poor 🤔 think for the short term.
- The class is a group of something.
9. Then, we use Definite article = The = before ordinal numbers. For example:
- The first-hand ✍ experience you have.
- The second position is for you.
- The third gender is ignored everywhere.
- The fourth class is less paid.
- The ninth grade is very average.
- The sweeter you eat, the better it is.
- The more you love, the marrier it is.
- The more you give, the more you get.
- The cooler you drink, the hotter you become.
- The higher👆 you go, the lower 👇 oxygen is.
Omission of Articles
- First, we omit articles when we talk about non-specific things in plural countable forms generally. For example:
- It is an age of computer. 💻
- Children like sweets.
- Gas stations are everywhere nowadays.
- Telephones☎ are being replaced with mobiles. 📱
- Storms are raging all over the country.
- We like mountains ⛰ worldwide.
- Cows and Goats are domestic animals.
- Fruit and vegetable fulfil most of our needs.
- Flowers💐🌸 are part of the nature.
- Schools 🚸 should also teach basic manners.
- Gold🥇is more expensive nowadays.
2. But do not use articles with abstract nouns. For example:
- Loyalty is my promise to you.
- Honesty builds your character.
- Truth defends itself.
- Your judgement is correct.
- Wisdom is gift 📦 of God.
- Your intelligence level is good.
3. So, we don’t use articles with language words. For example:
- She speaks French awkwardly.
- English is understood worldwide.
- The speakers of Chinese are in billions.
- Urdu is our national language.
- Arabic is also the oldest language.
4. Besides, we omit articles with relations names e.g., brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, uncle, etc. For example:
- Mother is boiling milk.
- Father is running his shop.
- Brother is studying in the room.
- Sister is washing her clothes.
- Aunt is coming to see you.