Table of Contents
- What is a Fact?
- What is an Opinion?
What is a Fact?
- A fact is a statement that we can back up with evidence or put to the test through experimentation.
- Besides, we can compare it to a measurable standard that is universally acceptable.
- So, whatever is true and justifiable, we call it a fact.
- Then, we can prove a statement of fact to conform to our daily life experience, which is the most common criteria for a statement of fact.
- So, to double-check information, we frequently use standard reference materials.
What is an Opinion?
- A person’s belief, sentiment, personal understanding, or position regarding anything forms the basis of an opinion. So, it’s partially Subjective in nature.
- Because, everyone does not agree equally with you, or the statement you make based on your likes or dislikes.
- So, we use personal interpretations to form opinions, which we cannot support by evidence.
Difference between Fact and Opinion
In order to differentiate between fact and opinion, it’s necessary to understand that you agree with a fact. And, you disagree with an opinion. Because a fact is always based on truth, or it can be proved as true or false. Whereas, you have an open choice to agree or disagree with an opinion of someone. Last, if a fact is true, it means that statement is trustworthy and useful. Similarly, if you agree with an opinion, it’s too becomes a useful and trustworthy statement. In our everyday life, we use both opinions and facts in spoken as well as written discourse. For example, we can write an essay or a paragraph based on facts and opinions.
Examples of Facts and Opinions
- Asia is the largest continent in the world.
- The earth is round.
- The Summer follows the spring.
- The 2010 world cup took place in South Africa.
- Cigarettes cause lung cancer.
- The sun is known as a star.
- China, by Population, is the greatest country.
- My birthday is on Friday.
- Her name is Hina.
- Lahore is situated in Pakistan.
- The parrot is wiser than the crow.
- Lahore is the most versatile city in Pakistan.
- Wild animals should not be kept in zoos
- This book is an enjoyable story of life in a small town.
- Everybody likes daffodils.
- Mothers love children more than fathers.
- Everyone likes to put on black shoes.
- Your phone is really good.
- Nobody likes to tell a lie.
- The old men are the most honest people.