Table of Contents
- Introduction to SQ3R: Reading Method
- Advantages of SQ3R Reading Method
Introduction to SQ3R: Reading Method
The abbreviation SQ3R Reading Method was created to assist children in reading with purpose and comprehending difficult material. So, it refers to the stages pupils use to apply the method: survey, question, read, recite, and review. Indeed, it’s a method of reading academic literature including textbooks, journals, research papers, and manuals. So, we can improve our understanding of what we’re reading and our capacity to recall it by using SQ3R. Each of these processes is described in detail below.
- Take a quick look at the title, introduction, table of contents, images, charts, and visual graphics.
- To locate the important concepts, skim through the section titles, subheadings, and the opening phrases of each paragraph.
- Read the first and last paragraphs, as well as the chapter summaries.
- Make a question out of the title, headings, subheadings, or the first line of the first paragraph.
- While reading the content, jot down any questions you have.
- Consider how this relates to the unit and what you already know.
- Actively read in order to find answers to the questions you posed.
- Highlighted only the keywords not the entire text.
- Pay special attention to any words or phrases that you have underlined, italicized, or bolded, as well as any graphic aids.
- When reading tough portions, take it slowly.
- After reading the first section, keep the book aside and ask yourself questions and try to answer in your own words.
- Underline or highlight important points you have just read.
- Take notes by using your own words.
- In this way, you apply all your senses to collect the information – SEE, HEAR, WRITE.
- After you’ve finished reading, take a peek at your notes to obtain a bird’s-eye view.
- At the end of each section, summarise what you’ve learned.
- To help you recall what you’ve read, use concept maps and flashcards.
Advantages of SQ3R Reading Method
If you follow these five elements of the SQ3R Reading Method and apply them practically, they should result in enhanced reading comprehension. Because it improves your ability to recognize key points and improved text memory.